VAR - honest hands-up

dimanche 23 janvier 2022

I would like some total honesty here please. It's okay to be wrong, after all (I imagine. I'm fortunate in that I never have been, but I can't imagine it's so utterly unbearable.)

I was never a fan of the prospect of video officiating. For me it flies in the face of 'sport' or 'a game'. This isn't a science and it's not supposed to be business. There will be misfortune and mistakes - that's the nature of sport. And some of the fun of it. Get over it. ("Ah, maybe, but there are huge sums at stake here. Businesses, futures, careers depend on it." Well, yes, but that simply underlines the troubling direction we've allowed the game to take, I say. If people don't like the fact that huge fortunes are at stake because of fortune then I'd say sport probably isn't for them. Much better that they look elsewhere than we radically change the nature of the game to accommodate them. But I am aware my view is so much piss in the wind.)

But I was MASSIVELY in the minority whenever I said I didn't want video refereeing. Almost universally I was argued argainst. (I used to say - largely whimsically - that if you want a better sport, don't increase the refereeing influence; get rid of it! The best games you ever played were those on the school playground or after school. Not a referee in sight. Got on okay though. And imagine the fun of a professional match that had to self-regulate. But once I see VAR I think I may have actually been on to something sensible. Anyhow...)

I actually think VAR has been a little better than I feared. (I feared absolute disaster and death, whereas we've instead got just an abject shitshow.) When they tinkered to 'clear and obvious', however, I thought it might actually be workable and tolerable (though still not my preference). And I still think it could be - it did improve, I think; it's just that it's (horribly) slipped of late.

So...

How many of us rabid anti-VARrers were pro-video-officiating previously? (If it's not the VERY great majority of responders ("Responders? You'll be lucky mate!") then we are knee-deep in lies as, as I say, I was virtually singular in my original anti stance.

And how many have changed their view? Is there a solution? Do we go back? Etc.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire