Bob Dylan

dimanche 21 avril 2019

I got into Bob properly about 8 years ago having been encouraged to do so by a songwriting mentor. I had some exposure to his stuff just through general life before as we all should but I’d not sat down to really listen and appreciate what a great lyricist/artist he truly is.

I’ve so far managed to get though the 60s albums up to and including Nashville Skyline. What I like is the variety of styles he uses, his reinvention in terms of genre that goes along that, and his brilliant use of words. He also comes across as a very humble guy, dedicated, almost monastic in his approach to making music.

Critical hat on - his voice isn’t great but he has some versatility with it and ultimately those who say they can’t get past the voice are clearly missing the point of him imho. Dylan for me is about content, what he’s trying to tell us almost independent of aesthetic. He paints with words. Oh and he really is crap live (Albert Hall 2015 I think it was I saw him for the only time, it was quite dull).

So are there any fellow Bob fans on here? Would love to hear general thoughts too, how you think he fits in to the wider music picture - yes he’s influential but why, is it justified? Can’t wait to get my teeth into post-60s era Bob, suggestions for what to look out for? The answer my friend...


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire