One More Point - The Book (Covering fanzines, Palace and football in the 80s/90s)

samedi 18 juillet 2015

Mark it down - 17 July 2015 - some 12 years after I should have started it, is the day I finally write the 'One More Point' book. Set a target of 10 pages this weekend and already the first four page have flowed like the old days.

Finally got the motivation and the reason I'm writing this post is that I want you people reading to shame me if it ever looks like I'm slacking in any way or not staying focussed enough.

Palace fans on here who remember the OMP days - if you have any comments/stories you remember then thrown them my way.

There will be stuff I've forgotten that you can remind me of that can go in the book.

After all this time I've realised that I don't want this to be a book just about fanzines and the hassles/stories/fun that come from writing and selling on the streets but I want it also to capture the essence of football from 1990 to 2003.

OMP started in 1993 but I'll also dip into what the fanzines before mine were doing. Eagle Eye was the daddy of Palace fanzines and will certainly get a lot of love but I'll also add in memories I have of other teams fanzines.

I want it to be a footnote so that people under 30 realise you could have a whole day out (beers, travel and match ticket) to West Brom or Norwich or Leicester etc. and still have change from £30.

There have been scores of books on football hooliganism but to my knowledge NONE on fanzines written by someone who was part of the scene.

Feel free to throw any thoughts down, good or bad, about OMP. Also thoughts on Eagle Eye, Eastern Eagles and even any of the smaller ones like Suffer Little Children.

Sportspages in Charing Cross was like heaven to me in the 90s. I bought such a wide variety of fanzines. All sorts of clubs. Did you have a fave fanzine of a club you didn't even support? I liked Ipswich's Those Were the Days and Sheff Utd's Flashing Blade for instance.

There were some stories that were never printed for all manner of reasons so some of those will finally get written.

Some items actually suit being written with the benefit of hindsight.

And if someone can think of a goddamn title I'll be grateful. Just like the old days - I could write 2000 words off the top of my head no problem but trying to think of a headline for articles was a nightmare.

Working title, for now, but I'm sure it'll change is 'Is that the Programme?'


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire