Crystal Palace 1991-92 memories

vendredi 12 juin 2015

The 1991-92 season is a blind spot in my Palace memory. My first memories of Palace were the 92-93 season and I subsequently watched that season review video many times (not understanding how we got relegated). And my dad's extensive programme and VHS collection gives me a pretty complete picture between the Swindon play off semis in 1989 and the 3-0 win at home to Man Utd to sign off the 1990-91 3rd place campaign.

But probably because 1991-92 was a bit of a 'meh' season (relatively), I didn't know much about it until I came across this season review video on YouTube (presented by John Salako!!):

To view the link you have to Register or Login

What struck me watching that was how quickly the 1991 team broke down:
  • Wright was sold in September
  • Salako was injured, out for the season, shortly after
  • Andy Gray was transfer listed and eventually sent out on loan to Spurs (I never knew this, and his Wikipedia entry mentions nothing about a loan to Spurs, only a permanent transfer at the end of the season; but Steve Coppell definitely says that he was sent out on loan, in the video)

There seemed to be a lot of other injuries at points during that season, meaning we were regularly fielding teams with Southgate at right back, Lee Sinnott, Paul Mortimer, Simons Roger and Osborn and David Whyte or Stan Collymore.

With all that going on - and considering how much we've lauded our current 10th place finish - it feels like that team actually over achieved that year, despite finishing third the year before. We never dropped below twelfth from September and up until the last few games, we were seventh:



Would love to hear memories from that season.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire