1967 to 1981

mercredi 1 mars 2023

Obviously I don't get to go to Selhurst Park anymore, and pretty sure I will not have that opportunity again, but those 14 years I did go regularly got me to where I am today.

As a true nerdy 12 year-old, after my first game I started to log every game I went to in an exercise book including scores and what league or cup it was. I kept this up to the very end when I left the UK in 1981, and even added to it as the odd game was attended when I was back in the UK.

I always felt this should be transferred to an Excel Spreadsheet, and today due having time on my hands enforced by heavy rains outside and being retired, I finished that task.

Thanks to Excel here are the numbers:

Total games attended (All teams and competitions including friendlies and testimonials) = 408

Total Palace game attended (excluding friendlies, testimonials, reserves and youth games) = 309

Palaces Games at Selhurst Park (excluding friendlies, testimonials, reserves and youth games) = 260

Palace games away (excluding friendlies, testimonials, reserves and youth games) = 47

Palace games on neutral grounds (1976 FA Cup Semi and 2016 Final) - 2

Palace results: Won - 115, Drew - 107, Lost - 87 (Pretty surprised at that!)

As I was entering the data, it was interesting how some games really came back to me, and other were totally oblivious to me... like I wasn't there. Also some of the results are pretty depressing reading... some of those 87 losses are pretty galling back in the 70's. Also sad to see some of those teams that beat us are either in the National League (or lower), extinct or reconstructed as an AFC club. There but for the grace of God... etc., etc..

Also recalling some of the games brought back great memories of a time and place and good friends.

I suspect some on here must be in the thousands of games attended, if my measly 14 years yielded these sorts of numbers. I know many of you have been going for 40-50 years!


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire