Possible Tribute for Everton game

dimanche 4 août 2019

Dear Palace Fans:

I lost my father on June 17, 2019 to cancer at the age of 57. My father, Chris Timms, was a big Crystal Palace fan since his childhood and the reason I became a Crystal Palace fan when he took me to my first live match, Crystal Palace vs West Ham on 6 May 1995. I still remember Chris Armstrong scoring the game winner and Dean Gordon with a thunderous strike that hit the bar.

We were season ticket holders during the 1995/1996 season and were at Wembley when Claridge shinned in. We were season ticket holders the following year and also went to that playoff final to witness Hopkin take us back to the Premiership. We moved to the US in 1997 and had to listen to the Palace games on the Palace Radio internet broadcast. I remember my dad and I crowding around the computer in our screened porch when Dougie scored against Stockport. In 2004, we sat at home watching Darren Powell power home a header in injury time to take us to the playoff final. Before the match, my dad promised we would go back for the playoff final if we made it. We flew over to England and picked up my Granddad (a West Ham fan) and drove to Wales for the playoff final in 2004. We were interviewed by BBC Radio as being 3 generations of supporters from one family (2 Palace, 1 West Ham). That was the last time I saw my Granddad in person before he passed away.

My dad sat and watched or listened through all the great times for this club and the frustrating times too. For every embarrassing home loss to Sunderland, there was a Danny Butterfield hattrick. For every 0-0 draw, there was a Darren Ambrose freekick. For every administration, there was a Hillsborough. His loyalty never waned. He's the reason I support Crystal Palace and my 6 year old son now supports Crystal Palace. That will never change. Palace are not the trendy pick, but we love this club for all the good and the bad.

Football was always our bond. I prepare this weekend for my first ever Crystal Palace game without my father. I will not have him there to sit down with and watch the game. I will no longer be able to celebrate or rant with him next to me.

I know this is short notice and its the first game of the season, but is there a way to have a tribute / round of applause for him as I've seen at previous games? Unfortunately I cannot be there in person, but I will be watching on TV. Any help from the Palace family would be greatly appreciated. I know he will be there in spirit. COYP and RIP Dad.

Thank you for reading.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire