Discussion: Transfer and squad assessment as at 25 Aug

jeudi 25 août 2016

In an attempt to distract myself from a constant refresh of transfer sources I thought I would take a look at the current state of play in terms of transfers, squad strength and potential formations. I'll start with the latter.

Over the past 3 seasons we have probably become one of the easiest teams to predict shape and game-plan for. We have largely been happy to sit deep and defend in numbers and then look to break out wide. Goals coming from those breaks and set pieces where we use aerial power. As everyone knows, and says, if you can stop the wingers then you have stopped Palace. This is largely because our CF is so isolated and TBH knackered from doing defensive covering that there is little chance that he will get chances. Up until now we haven't really had the players to do much else. The latter is fundamentally what I think Pardew is correcting with the squad, while raising the quality of the top 15 players.

Formations
Before looking at the squad personnel - formations. I think the intention is that we have the option to play 4 5 1 as now with touchline wingers, 4,4,1,1 (either narrow or wide versions), 4 3 3 but probably with one of the front 3 being a wide winger but who does get into the box.

The key difference I have convinced myself of is that we will see less of the 2 wide wingers every week and instead see one of them at least operating more narrowly. I don't think this is bad at all. Townsend can do both of these. I also think we are gearing up for 4 3 3 being a sensible option for us whereas with 2 very wide wingers it really hasn't been. Playing them narrower will either bolster midfield or get closer to the CF depending on the match. TBH without doing this we will either remain with an isolated and ineffective CF or we will get swamped in midfield if we only play 2 there to push in a second striker. Bit hurried but hope that makes sense.

Transfer business
SP has said several times that Pardew is very clear on what he wants and how he will play. So far he has sensibly addressed the spine of the team first - upgrading keeper, centre back, and striker. I still think there will be another midfield addition in the AM/CM slot to complete that - certainly hope so. I am an optimist I know but this looks like some really good business so far. The players we have brought in are all good pedigree and quality. It's a shame to see Yala and Jedi leave but we have done well to keep the former this long and it feels about right for both I think (best judged at the EOF season). Assuming there is more to come this really could be the best window.

Will stop that post there and look at the squad so far in the next.


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire