Songs that make you think of Palace

jeudi 18 octobre 2018

There’s the obvious ‘Glad all over’, ‘Town called Malice’, ‘The long good Friday’...but I find there are certain random songs that due to personal circumstance, have me wistfully thinking of our beloved Eagles.

Yazz - The only way is up.
Promotion in 89. Released at the start of that season and the chorus obviously chimed with the hope that season. Believe it or not, ended up on a dance floor at Crystals the night we went up, dancing to it alongside the likes of Pemberton, Salako, Thomas and Barber.

Wet Wet Wet - Angel Eyes.
Man City away 3-1 win in ‘87. Driving up to Euston train station early doors for the special up to Piccadilly Manchester, and this song played on the radio. Always reminds me of one of my favourite Palace away days.

Lindisfarne - Run for home and Snowy White - Bird of paradise
There was a couple of special reports on Football Focus and Thames Sport I think, on Vince Hilaire in the early 80’s. They played a montage of him backed by these songs. This was back in the day when the only mention on TV we got most weekends was when our result was read out at 5pm.

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the silence
One song I had on my tape on headphones when walking up to Selhurst at the crack of dawn to join a queue to buy one of just 2,000 tickets available for the 1990 FA Cup quarter final at Cambridge. Always takes me back to that Cup run.

Russ Abbot - Atmosphere.
Takes me back to Coppell’s early days as this song was played a lot at the end of games for some reason. Always found it amusing, ‘Oh what an atmosphere’, in days when we were averaging 6k crowds.

Florence and the Machine - Spectrum
Played this song as the lads lifted the cup at Wembley after beating Watford in the Play Off final. Or at least I think it was this song?


Anyone else with random songs connected to memories of Palace?


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire